Did you know diagnosing dyslexia in a person can either be done at an early age whereas, under some circumstances, one may not even be able to diagnose it until their adulthood. In order to understand the detailed dyslexia assessment in Melbourne, we have enlisted the process that will give you a comprehensive understanding of this disease. Let’s find out more about it.
When it comes to a thorough dyslexia assessment, there is a checklist that needs to be filled out which is related to family history, medical history, developmental issues, educational history and so on. This information is necessary to be assessed at an initial level in order to comprehend and identify the issues and then be able to guide you of the tests accordingly.
Once the above is done, a detailed examination is to be done where number of areas will be tested. If the patient is young, the tests may vary between 3 to 4 hours, whereas, for elder people, the tests may vary for 6 to 8 hours. There are some tests that are to be undertaken by the patients for a comprehensive exanimation which may include the following;
- PPVT – 4: This test is conducted in order to know the receptive vocabulary of the patient.
- CELF – 4: This particular test is important to know about the receptive as well as oral language abilities.
- CTOPP: Under this test, rapid automated naming and phonemic awareness is assessed of the dyslexia patient.
- GORT – 4: To know the status of oral reading and frequency of fluency, this test is important to be conducted on the patient.
- TOWL – 3: Under this test, the patient has to go through a grammar test, story writing test and spelling test too.
As the above tests are conducted, a detailed report along with the diagnosis report is prepared which contains the outlines, diagnosis, recommendations, therapy, home activities and accommodations are stated. As soon as the report is handed over, a face to face meeting should be set up for a detailed recommendations and actions that should be taken. It is recommended that one should write down all the questions that you would like to be answered in this session to clarify your concerns. This particular consultation will also help in review each and every aspect of the diagnosis report. Make sure you are going through the report yourself first and if any queries arise, you should be able to have them cleared during this particular meeting session.
Hope this above guideline helped you in understanding the overall process of how to assess a dyslexia patient and what are the prerequisites for undergoing the tests.